Friday, October 1, 2010

Peepli [Live] Movie: It’s not a BREAKING NEWS



I am not writing a story review (you will not find the movie story here); I will only share my feeling after watching the movie.
It’s an Aamir Khan’s production on a very sensitive subject of present INDIA. Moreover from the trailers we are aware that it is presented in a different style (humor). Before the movie was released everyone around me was talking about it and the same continues after it’s released as well.

I don’t know why but I feel that the Aamir’s magic was missing in this one. The movie was ok types (one time watch) and there was nothing which you can relate to perfection. When we know that Sachin is batting, we will not compromise on 25 or 40 runs… we need a century. That’s the magic Aamir is capable of.

When the movie started – for the next 15 mins only the abusing language used by the characters were able to make you laugh. You will not find more than 2-3 instances where you laughed on the act done by the actors. Was abusing language the only option left with Anusha to make people laugh? Though the expectation from the movie was that the situation and the acts performed will make people laugh (not the abusing language). We understand that director shows the real picture of the daily life of villagers and hence such language was a crucial part of the movie. We also understand that people in small villages use their language to entertain people around them. But we are not dealing with the villager only. We are dealing with the people who are known as perfectionist. Is that all they have to offer to us.
Not even once in the movie I felt sad for Natha or I was not forced to think that what I am watching is actually happening in my Shinning India. We are symbolizing our currency and claiming our position in between the worlds most developed nations and farmers are committing suicide due to hunger / heavy loans etc.

Neither I laughed nor cried. I was not able to find out what is happening. The media section which was shown was also not new to anyone in the picture hall. We knew this is what Media do and watch everyday. The remaining was done by couple of movies released in past on the same subject. The only out of the box act done by the media team was the last one when the one journalist took a close up shot of the stool of Naatha and says – “manuchikasak kaa manna hai ki aap kisi ke mal ka rang dekh kar uski mansik istithi ka andaja laga sakta hai” I don’t know what was that but I was shocked after hearing it.
If Aamir khan was not associated with the movie, I am afraid people will not show much interest in it. Many people just went to the theater to watch it because Aamir is there.

NOTE: I am not making any comment on the technical side (like – direction/cinematography/editing etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment